A program of the Rotary Club of Peterborough- Kawartha
The “Adventure in Understanding” program is an annual six day ( five night) cultural canoe experience for young First Nation and non-native youth ages sixteen to eighteen years old.
It is a co-ed canoe voyage along the Trent Severn Waterway from Beavermead Park in Peterborough to Curve Lake First Nation.
The program was developed by the Rotary Club of Peterborough Kawartha with the assistance of the Curve Lake First Nation Youth Committee and is offered with the co-operation of Camp Kawartha and the Canadian Canoe Museum.
Program (details below)
- Lunch provided 1PM as Paddlers (plus family, guests, Rotarians) and equipment arrive at “Camping Area” of Beavermead Park
- Opening ceremony/introductions Leaders
- Family, guests, Rotarians leave Beavermead
- Eskimo blanket toss.
- Paddlers move to Ecology Park for a private time to begin the experience and choose a tree to take to Curve Lake for final event
- Paddlers leave Beavermead, travel over Peterborough Liftlock and up canal to Trent university
- Evening “Water Teaching” in Trent teepee
- Morning spent at Trent with First Peoples’ House of Learning
- Paddle up the Otonabee river to Lakefield
- Evening spent on Lakefield College School grounds
- Cross Katchewanooka and Clear Lakes as well as Young’s Point lock before arrival at Camp Kawartha
- Climbing wall and First Nation games and activities
- First Nation sports at Camp Kawartha before departure for Burleigh Falls and bus to Petroglyphs for teaching
- Return to Burleigh Falls and paddle Lovesick Lake to Wolf Island Provincial Park for overnight
- Paddle Lower and Upper Buckhorn Lakes to Curve Lake Pow wow grounds for overnight
- Arrival greeted by hand drumming
- Drumming with Curve Lake youth during the evening
- Wild Rice teaching by James Whetung of Black Duck Wild Rice
- Pack up camp
- Traditional games around morning campfire
- Celebration feast provided by Curve Lake First Nation and closing remarks
- Ceremonial tree planting
- Event ends approx. 1:30PM
Application forms and further information are available here
If you want to contact us please do it here